Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Down in the dumps

Over the weekend, did 2-a-day sessions of running and weights which were helpful to regain a better focus on things and remain relatively sane.

I'm going to train more intensely and seriously as will run a big local 10K in April (SunRun) and the Vancouver international Marathon in May.

Doing breathing exercises, keeping my posture straight as well as doing pilates/yoga type exercises and stretches have been beneficial as they add a calming aspect to my workout which I truly need right now.

Weather here has been crappy (heavy rain, wind, cold) for over a week and no letting up in sight. It's not that I mind running in it, in fact it gives me extra satisfaction to train in less than ideal conditions as when race time comes, odds are conditions will be better and if they're not i'm used to it.

When it comes to everyday life though, getting up to a downpour, looking out the office window to darkness, dampness, people freezing at bus stops....the parallel with my mood is obvious.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Gray said...

Good for you! Exercise definitely helps combat depression in my experience, although it is one of the hardest things to do when you're depressed, since motivation is in short supply.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

I hope your training has been going well since November. All of us go through periods of needing motivation, so don't feel alone. If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. To help motivate you, please read a really great inspirational story about an event I witnessed at the 2000 Boston Marathon, please read The Greatest Marathoner.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home